Saturday, October 27, 2012

Leave Evidence

I have naturally curly hair (like you can’t tell with the ever growing frizz always atop my head).  But, for those women reading this who have naturally straight hair, I’m going to let you in on a curly hair insider phenomenon known as “clingy curls“.  This is what happens when curly hair naturally sheds and wraps itself around everything you own.  Around fingers, arms, feet, cups, cell phones, the couch, kitchen chairs..you name it..the hairs just wrap around everything they touch and don’t fall to the ground, like most straight hair would.  It can be very irritating to me AND everyone who lives with me.  I leave little”presents” everywhere I sit.  I recently had a particularly irritating “clingy curls” morning.  My hair was everywhere…all over me, all over everything I tried to touch.  Standing in my kitchen making school lunches, I had a thought that made me laugh out loud:
“If anyone ever tried to link me to a crime, it would be sooo easy.  All they would need to do is just look down for a minute for the trail of curly hairs I would leave behind with all that DNA on it!“  I laughed at myself for a few seconds…then stopped dead in my tracks, as The Lord used the moment to illustrate an important Truth to me.  He whispered to my heart…. “Wherever you go, I want you to leave traces of ME behind.”
If I woke up to a world where Christians were being prosecuted for their faith; would there be enough evidence to convict me?
Would there be?  I’m hopeful that while surrounded by fellow believers, they would say that I was a believer and had a heart to serve The Lord..  But what about the ones I encounter daily who don’t already know the Lord?  The ones that Brenda Thomas so loving call “pre-believers”.  Will the evidence of my faith be shown in love, faithfulness, kindness, gentleness, patience, peace and self control (Eph 5:22 )?  Would a pre-believer know I am a Christian by my love or at the very least be curious about what is different? (sorry if that song is now stuck on your head)
I’m not talking about carrying a bible everywhere you go, or holding up a sign on the side of the road and shouting “REPENT!”  I’m speaking of the silent witness we have the privilege of being, every single day.  The things we have the opportunity to stand for, or decide against.  The way we act toward others. The way we love others.
Personally, I have come to understand that I learn best with illustrations and parables to paint a picture in my mind.  It also takes me a few exposures to the point for it to sink in.  The Lord knows this about me and tends to use it to His advantage.  He uses many, many things in my everyday life to teach me or to drive home a point.   The Lord often speaks to me in this way… little things…that often stop me cold…followed by “Ooohhhh…now I get it” moments.  That moment the other day was one of those times.  Am I leaving UNMISTAKABLE evidence of my faith everywhere I go?
Daniel is a fantastic example of living this type of life. And of course, I have been studying that book lately (that’s God for you, drilling something into me from all angles). You are probably familiar with the “Sunday school” version of Daniel...he’s the one that was buds with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego.  King Nebuchadnezzar attempted to have them burned in a fiery furnace for refusing to bow and worship his false gods. They declared the one true God would protect them, and of course they emerged without some much as a minor burn or even smelling of smoke.   He is also the one who was thrown into the lion’s den and came out unharmed. Again, for the same type of offense, refusing to bow and worship when King Darius told him to. 
Further along in the Book of Daniel, we see another fascinating account. This story can be found in the book of Daniel chapters 5-6, but to give you the Cliff’s notes of what is going on, Daniel has had a relationship of sorts with king Nebuchadnezzar.  He had interpreted dreams for this king, and in return gained favor with the king and was placed in a high position.  After Nebuchadnezzar’s death, his son Belshazzar became king. Just like his father, he had some crazy dreams and visions.  He was totally freaked out by a vision and asked for someone to interpret it. He called for all the magicians, fortune tellers, etc, and none could interpret the dream.  His queen suggests, "There is a man in your kingdom in whom has the Spirit of the Holy God. And in the days of your father, light and understanding and wisdom, like the wisdom of the gods, were found in him; and King Nebuchadnezzar your father--your father the king--made him chief of the magicians, astrologers, Chaldeans, and soothsayers.” Daniel 5:11
King Belshazzar calls for Daniel and when he arrives before the King, Belshazzar says, "I have heard of you, that the Spirit of God is in you, and that light and understanding and excellent wisdom are found in you.” Daniel 5:14
Then a little later in the story…the next King was Darius. We read that this was said about Daniel, “Then this Daniel distinguished himself above the governors and satraps, because an excellent spirit was in him; and the king gave thought to setting him over the whole realm.” Daniel 6:3
So think this through….Daniel, through the KIND OF life he chose to live, had a reputation that spanned 3 kings.  He lived his life true to his faith and a reputation followed.  However, the point to be made is that because he lived this sort of life, true to his faith, he left evidence of this faith everywhere he went.  So much so that for 3 generations, kings would call on him when they needed advice.  They even said…”I‘ve heard of that man…he has the Spirit of the Holy God within him!”
WOW…could you imagine having that kind of reputation to go before you?   The questions at hand are these: Like Daniel, would there be enough evidence to convict us of our Faith?  Like my “clingy curls”, do we leave love, grace, forgiveness, understanding, and wisdom in our wake? Does the world see the light of Christ shining out of our cracks?
Daniel sure did. So now (also just like God to drill this into me with an illustration that I will never escape), I will forever be reminded of this every time I pluck a clingy curl from my shirt.  As I leave a trail of evidence behind, with my DNA on it, I will be reminded to also leave a trail of evidence with God’s DNA on it. 
"I have heard of you, that the Spirit of God is in you, and that light and understanding and excellent wisdom are found in you.” Daniel 5:14

1 comment:

  1. I'm sharing this with the girls this morning. Great way to start my Monday. Thank you for your wisdom and for BEing the LIGHT!

    ReplyDelete