Thursday, May 24, 2012

Welcome Summer!

   I don't remember exactly what year the shift happened, but there was a time when I loathed the last day of school.  Back when the thought of entertaining two bored kids all day seemed like an unachievable feat. But those days are gone!  Somehow the school years filled with art, spelling bees, and scraped knees has been replaced with endless homework, state mandated tests that threaten your child's future, and mean girls.


     Lately the Lord has been reminding me of one of my biggest challenges as a mom, to remember to slow down and not wish the time away.  And He’s been using this verse to do that.  Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away.” James 4:14   My kids are old enough now that this is becoming a reality to me.  No more tucking them in, no more kissing boo-boos.  So, it is so hard for me not to feel the same about the school years....BUT I DO!  I confess, that I am counting how many years of high school and (its frustrations) are left for my son.  I am counting how much longer until estrogen poisoned young teen girls aren't so unpredictable.

     I'm hoping that the memories of this phase of child rearing won't disappoint in the future.  I'm sure I will look back at this and think as fondly as the younger years.   I do love and like my children, but this phase of being stuck in between a child and an adult can be daunting. Come to think of it, maybe I will think of it differently, like a triumph on all our parts.  "Yes, we made it and we still love each other!"

    To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.”  Eccl 3:3  For now...I welcome THIS season!   Bring it summer!


"Do you struggle with these same feelings of "rushing your child into each new phase?  How do YOU thwart that tendency and savor the moments? Share below:"

1 comment:

  1. Fortunately, I had a Grandmother who "mentored" me. She was a believer in "Carpe Diem" decades before the movie made it a popular idea. I cherished every moment. However, sometimes (like when looking at the video at the funeral Saturday), it makes me miss them more. When I see pictures of "yesteryear", I mentally recreate the scenes. I remember the love, laughter and fun times the images represent. I am thankful for those times and so grateful that I realized that we need to "seize the day"...that those good memories will help us survive the bad.
    I miss "baby Malina"..."toddler Chad"...etc. Now with my grandbabies, I find myself remembering how much fun they were at whatever age....how cute they were when they were learning to talk, walk, ...make new discoveries. However, I am finding them to be great joy now...taking them to places and events they are not normally exposed to. Seeing their excitement at Shlitterbahn...their amazement at museums...the sparkle in their eyes watching firework displays...and the ultimate joy of hearing their awe...telling me about Jesus...things they learned that day at Vacation Bible School. It is such a blessing to hear them "parrot" what they learned. When their Great Granddaddy passed, Douglas said, "Now he is with Jesus and Nana...and we will see him again one day!" Blessings! Blessings! Remember, God knew which family your kids and grandkids would be born into...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete